TOTAL : 89, PAGE : 1 / 5, CONNECT : 0 ȸ¿ø°¡ÀÔ ·Î±×ÀÎ
   Á¶µ¿ÀÏ
   Korean Literature in Cultural Context and Comparative Perspective (Áý¹®´ç, 1997)
copyright 1997 by Cho Dong-il
Jimpmoddngang Publishing Company
95 Waryong-dong, Chongno-gu,
Seoul, Korea
tel: (20) 743-3192/3 (02) 743-3096
fax: (02) 742-4657. (02)743-3097
ISBN 89-303-5001-1

Preface

Though Korean literature has been receiving increasing attention in the Western academic world, regrettably there is no systematic introduction in English. Although the continuous translation of novels and poems and introductory essays about them will be helpful. The comprehensive history of Korean literature must be made available in English. But I think the most important task is to provide a book to clarify the significance of Korean literary study based upon Korean classical heritage. Such is the intension of this book.

Korean literature is precious not because it adopts well the Western influence in the modem era, but because it played an active role in developing culture during Korea's history and it presented a typical example of the growth of a national literature, in the East Asian or in the world scope. Both sides, intermingling each other, present many important theoretical problems, which have been the themes of my 30 books written in Korean.  As it is not easy to offer such voluminous achievements to Western academic world, here I present some summaries of important points. As indicated by the title, the main point of my research is to see the Korean literature in cultural context and comparative perspective. 1 think the results, even in these brief sketches, will arouse wide interest among those who search for new ideas to reconsider the world literary history as a cultural history, beyond Eurocentric view.

I thank Mr. Emanuel Pastreich, a Ph. D. candidate of Harvard University. During his stay in Korea,1 fortunately received his valuable assistance in reading English proofs of many parts of this book.

Seoul

February,1997

Cho Dong-il

Contents
Preface

Introduction to Korean Literature

The Oral Sources of Korean Literature

Oral Literature and Popular Consciousness            

Humour in the Folk Song                                                              

Performance and Text of P'ansori

The Social Context of Korean Literature

Male-Female Partnership and Competition for the Classical Novel

The Yangbdn Class and the Common People in Literature of the Eighteenth Century

The Two-Stage Transitional Period to Modem Literature                                

Cross-cultural Issues in Korean Studies

Western Impact versus Korean Tradition in the Humanities

Framework and Content of the Encyclopedia of Korean Culture

European Interest in Korean Studies

Prospects for Comparative Literature

The Shaman Epics of the Koreans and the Neighbouring Peoples

Traditional Forms of the Narrative and the Modem Novel

The Sublime in Korean Literature and the Tragic in Western

Toward a New Theory of the Periodization of World Literary  History

ÀÌÃ¥¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ¼­ÆòÀÌ Franca Sinopoli, Literary Research  29 (London, Canada: University of Western Ontario 1998); Rivista Italiana di Letteratura Comparata, n.12/1998; Gregorg Nicholas Evon, The Review of Korean Studies  vol. 3. no. 1 (The Academy of Korean Studies, 2000), ÓÞ÷ÊÑÎÚÏ, <<ÝïÎòÙþùÊæÚϼ>> 76 (ìíÜâÝïÎòÙþùÊüå, 2000)¿¡ ÀÖ´Ù.

PREV   <<µ¿¾Æ½Ã¾Æ ±¸ºñ¼­»ç½ÃÀÇ ¾ç»ó°ú º¯Ãµ>> (¹®ÇаúÁö¼º»ç, 1997) Á¶µ¿ÀÏ
NEXT   <<īŸ¸£½Ã½º¡¤¶ó»ç¡¤½Å¸íÇ®ÀÌ>> (Áö½Ä»ê¾÷»ç, 1997) Á¶µ¿ÀÏ

Copyright 1999-2001 Zeroboard / skin by ZERO